OR  

Swipe bar doesn't work correctly in Opera

If you find any bugs (i.e. errors, malfunctions, or similar issues) with The Elder Stats while using it, please report them by posting a topic in here.

Swipe bar doesn't work correctly in Opera

Postby C0RteZ48 » January 5th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Hi, I'm not sure this is a certain 'bug', but it has come to my attention I can't view long posts correctly in the browser Opera.
I don't certainly know if Elder Stats is Opera-supported, but I think it should be as there is a 'favorited-browser-option in everyone's profile under 'General Info'.
My bug: when I want to view long posts (skills at someone's character e.g.), I can't drag the swipebar downwards correctly. It only moves a little bit! I don't know a correct solution for it and I've already tried a few things!
I came across this bug some time ago and it still isn't fixed. This makes it an consistent bug. Excuse me for not reporting this earlier, I just didn't think it was much of a problem.

My only solution 'till now was to just surf Elder Stats via Chrome or Firefox.

This is my first time I post anything in a forum, so please go soft on me :)
C0RteZ48
Beggar

Forum Posts: 13
Characters: 5

Re: Swipe bar doesn't work correctly in Opera

Postby Tom » January 5th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Thanks for the report, C0RteZ48. It's always nice to see a new face around the Forum. :)

What you're reporting is definitely a bug, but it's a bug that I cannot seem to reproduce in Opera. I've opened up some Oblivion character profiles where the Oblivion-style scrollbar (aka swipe bar) was present, and I was able to scroll on multiple pages without a problem. Could you give me a link to a page where you were experiencing this issue so that I can get a better look?

With regard to Opera support, The Elder Stats has been tested for compatibility in numerous browsers — Internet Explorer 7, IE 8, IE 9, Firefox, Safari and Chrome — and a good deal of effort is put into ensuring that the website is compatible and looking and working properly in all of these browsers. However, Opera happens to be one of the browsers that I neglected when developing The Elder Stats and subsequent new features, due simply to its small market share with respect to the other browsers that I've just mentioned. In all honesty, it's enough of a pain getting the website to appear and function consistently across earlier versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox/Chrome, and Opera seems to sort of march to the beat of its own drum when it comes to rendering web content, so I've always just considered Opera the oddball and refused to really spend anymore time trying to placate its rendering engine, given its small share of the browser market. There was a time when I tried, but I've learned how to spend my development time more efficiently over the years. ;)

I hope I didn't come off as seeming rude or superior or anything of the sort, but I felt the need to be honest about the reason behind my attitude toward Opera, based on my experience with other browsers that possess similarly quirky rendering engines (*cough* Internet Explorer *cough*).
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby C0RteZ48 » January 6th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Haha yeah I haven't used Internet explorer for quite some time as well. It's not much of a problem for me, I just think Opera is terribly underrated. For some reason it's faster than Chrome at my computer, it's not too much of a difference though.

Anyway, I still seem to encounter the bug today. I tried switching my extensions on and off but it didn't work. I also downloaded the newest version of Opera (12.12.), I had 12.02 before I upgraded. The swipe bar (scrollbar) just rejects getting pulled downwards correctly; it only moves a little bit.

I think I'm now only making a fool of myself as you don't encounter the bug, Tom. It's just what I said before:
- Start Opera and go to elderstats.com (Herpderp)
- Go to a random Oblivion-character statslist first. (For some reason only Oblivion-characters don't seem to work correctly; Skyrim-characters are displayed just fine!) I'll take mine as example: http://elderstats.com/character/2138/
- Go to profile.
- Only the swipe bar at 'Skills' and 'Stats' works incorrectly. It is being displayed fine (so it is present), however when I pull it downwards the page doesn't move downwards like it should. The 'Bio&Info' works incorrectly as well. The remaining pages work perfectly.

I don't think it is much of a problem if you aren't able to 'fix' the bug, IF there is anything to fix. I think it is great you've already mangaged to make an awesome website like this one and managed to make it compatable with most renowned browsers. Just to let you know it's not any of my concern you neglected Opera when developing The Elder Stats. So I don't think you're rude or anything. :mrgreen:
I thought it would be good for you to know it doesn't work flawlessly with Opera (at least on my pc haha). I thought it might be a point of interest for you to be aware of the 'bug' I experience. I understand with the reasons you've just given that you might be unable to fix the 'bug'. If you don't succeed in fixing it (if there is any at all), I just want to let you know I just will use firefox/chrome in the future. Thank you very much for your support!

Are there other people who encounter this bug? I don't think there will be many as Opera is not too popular.
C0RteZ48
Beggar

Postby Tom » January 6th, 2013, 7:09 pm

I've just updated Opera to 12.12, as well (I was using 12.02 previously), and I did exactly as you described but was unfortunately unable to reproduce this behavior. I can't imagine what else may be causing it, but there's a slight chance that it could be something on your end that's different from mine. Still, that's rather unlikely.

I'm sorry that I couldn't get to the bottom of this, but I thank you for reporting it anyway, as I like to know when the site is not performing as expected in certain use cases. I'm glad that you're willing to use a different browser for the site though, that must mean it's worth it!
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby C0RteZ48 » January 19th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Sure, no problem at all! It was no big deal reporting this to you. I'm using Firefox from now on, so no problems with swipe-bars anymore haha.
C0RteZ48
Beggar

Return to Bug Reports