OR  

Best way to accumulate Gold

Discuss anything about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in here.

Best way to accumulate Gold

Postby Dazzleman » May 13th, 2009, 9:45 pm

I've been playing for a while now and am at level 14 I belive but cannot seem to be able to keep any gold. Just wondering what strategies you all use to gather the gold. I've seen super high amounts of gold in some profiles.

Thanks,
Dazzleman
Dazzleman
Beggar

Forum Posts: 13
Characters: 1

Re: Best way to accumulate Gold

Postby Teinaava » May 13th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Making and selling potions is a good way to get gold. An easy way to make a lot of potions is to make Restore Fatigue potions from food. A good place to do this is Shetcombe Farm, as it has two large crop fields. Another way to make gold is to do the quest The Order of the Virtuous Blood. Once you have completed this quest, you can sell Vampire Dust to Roland Jenseric for 250 gold apiece. So, you may be able to get a good bit of gold by clearing out some Vampire Dungeons to get Vampire Dust, as well as any loot they drop. Another quest that gets you a lot of gold is The Collector (up to 10000).
Teinaava
Past Contributor
Protector

Forum Posts: 172
Characters: 3

Postby Xavier » May 13th, 2009, 11:55 pm

The way I get gold is going into Marauder forts and selling the armor I get when I kill them. Some Daedric items can get you 1,000 gold a piece, which is awesome.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby The Black Arrow » May 14th, 2009, 3:16 am

I agree with Xavier. That's what I do now. Of course, the higher you progress in levels, the more expensive armor and weapons you will come by. Of course fencing works, too.

Just explore EVERYTHING. The moment you pass a fort/mine/cave, go in and loot it. Sell weapons and armor you'll never use. I always sell heavy armor and blunt weapons. But I never get more than 1200 septims for an expensive item (like a Deadric Battleaxe worth 3200 septims. Bummer.) but it's better than nothing, eh? I guess I need to up my personality x_X

BUT SELL, SELL, SELL. Oh! And join the Order of Virtuous Blood. You get 250 septims for each portion of Vampire's Ashes you bring back. They stack up fast if you head on over to vampire lairs. (I got 18 in one run last time.) And sell Black Bows to the count of Leyawin. 100 septims a bow. Sell all of your old armor no matter how cheap. Every bit adds up. And don't spurge if you can help it. Pickpocket royals. They sometimes carry 600+ septims at once. The least I've ever picked was 430. And don't forget to sell stolen stuff. Anvil, Cheydinhal, and Skingrad have some pretty decent stuff hanging around in houses.

Good luck!
---Est. 2009---
*moved into Rosethorn Hall, Evening Star 18th*
The Black Arrow
Citizen

Forum Posts: 59

Postby Dazzleman » May 14th, 2009, 2:23 pm

Thanks a bunch for all the info guys.

Have I said this game is great yet!!! :D ;)
Dazzleman
Beggar

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » May 14th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Alchemy. Raid Shetcombe Farm for a lot of corn stalks, or get loads of shepherd's pies from Eyja. You can make an unlimited amount of money doing the latter, and a good few thousand with the former.
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby Dazzleman » May 14th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Any place better than others to sell off the stuff?
Dazzleman
Beggar

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » May 14th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Nope. Pubs, shops, Mages Guild alchemists, anywhere goes. For better prices of useful ingredients later, I'd recommend selling more to shops, as every hundred gold's worth of items you sell or buy with them their disposition is raised.
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby The Black Arrow » May 14th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Dazzleman wrote:Any place better than others to sell off the stuff?

I always sell my things at Hammer and Tongs in Skingrad. Her cap is 1200 septims for me, and that's the most I can get with my current personality and mercantile stats.
---Est. 2009---
*moved into Rosethorn Hall, Evening Star 18th*
The Black Arrow
Citizen

Forum Posts: 59

Postby Teinaava » May 14th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Dazzleman wrote:Any place better than others to sell off the stuff?

The most gold "normal" merchants will have is 1200. If you get to the rank Master Thief in the Thieves Guild, you can use Fathis Ules as a fence. He has the most gold (1500) of any merchant in vanilla Oblivion (no mods or DLC). However, his mercantile skill is 100, so only use him to sell very expensive items. For cheaper items, use other merchants as you'll get more gold from them. Also, the Wizard's Tower, Vile Lair, and Fighter's Stronghold DLC all add merchants with 2000 gold. These merchants are Aurelinwae, Rowley Eardwulf, and Nilphas Omellian, respectively. Also, once you become an Expert in Mercantile, you can invest in a store, raising it's gold by 500, and once you become a Master, all shops automatically have 500 more gold. So, you can raise the amount of gold available in a store by 1000 gold.
Teinaava
Past Contributor
Protector

Forum Posts: 172
Characters: 3

Next

Return to Oblivion Discussion