OR  

Another Oblivion vs Morrowind Thread

Discuss anything about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in here.

Another Oblivion vs Morrowind Thread

Postby Nucleon » September 24th, 2010, 1:23 pm

I am sure this subject has been discussed ad nauseam, but at the time I was still new to Oblivion, and could hardly relate. But since that time, I've become seasoned to the game, and would like to give here a comparison with its predecessor, Morrowind, a game that you can call me fan of.

The Environment.

- Morrowind is bigger. Yeah, I know, square miles favors Oblivion, but the imperial province, geographically speaking, is basically a bowl while Vvardenfell was a pike; how many of these square miles are spent in featureless slopes in Cyrodiil? The regionalisation of the land was much more intricate in Vvardenfell, making it appear bigger.

- Morrowind was also stranger. The twisted geology, zoology, weather and dramatic landscapes were more fantaisist. Cyrodiil possesses a nice, familiar terrain that doesn't take you too far away from home.

- NPCs are much better in Oblivion, that's no opinion but fact. They may not be as eccentric as some individuals in Morrowind, but each of them is unique, while there were numerous "twins" in Morrowind. You can download a plug that will put Morrowind characters on a schedule, but it is never done so well than in Oblivion, where they actually make the travel between A to B and interact among themselves. And they sit, too, have visible emotions and sleep in a real sleeping position.

- However the voice acting was better in Morrowind. Un-complete, of course, since the in-menu conversation was silent, but I liked it better that way; It was easier to make plug-ins for the game. There were more, and more stable voices in Morrowind, including 2 different persons per races, while the "Wood Elf Guy" does all the elves in Oblivion. I especially miss the grim Dunmer guy, and the cuteish Bosmer female.

- Dungeons were shorter in Morrowind, but less previsible. Architecture is amazing in one game or the other, but Oblivion dungeons seems more grim and decrepit (while you could eat right off the floor of a Morrowind dungeon). You can get some plugs that will make Morrowind's dungeon re-spawn, for better or for worse, so that makes few difference.

- Music is very nice in Both game. Oblivion's score isn't as distracting as Morrowind's, and is much better in-dungeon, but tends to be more nostalgic somehow which is for me a downer. As a result I tend to turn it off.

Gameplay

- Combat is better in Oblivion, once again a hard fact. Spellcasting is better, too. In Oblivion one can really take fun in a fight, while in Morrowind it was mindless clicking.

- However, I miss Morrowind's skills, like Spears, Short Blades and Enchanting. I think 21 skills isn't nearly enough to justify that much stock character classes in Oblivion, some of them obviously broken like Warrior. Over those 27 skills of Morrowind, I would have even expanded them to include Horse mounting, Animal taming or something, but Bethesda thought otherwise and it removed individuality in the game.

- Weapons and enchanted items were more interesting in Morrowind, and at the same time, less of a boost. It's relatively easy to become impervious to both spells and physical attacks in Oblivion, but one can't get a sword that projects lightning, for exemple. The armors and weapons were much more diverse too in all manners. I missed wearing only a pauldron and gauntlet for armor, and being armed with a spear, and throwing knives. As for clothes, there were plugs for Morrowind that made Oblivion characters look like beggars.

- The iconography of said items and the way to barter them, or move them around to decorate one's home was way better in Morrowind. In Oblivion, the time I have to barter gathered goods at the shop, painfully, one by one, is a time I dread. Menus were more efficient and nicer in Morrowind, and furthermore, there were 9 fastkeys instead of 8.

- I don't like Oblivion's leveled-up system that makes it that the entire Universe gets as good as you get. That forces you to always wear you best stuff rather than the stylish one etc. I prefer a more stable environment, but I can get - and did install - plugs, such as Oscuro's, to make that right again.

- Another thing I didn't like in Oblivion was the extreme archetypes we encounter in ennemies: All spellcasters are either Altmer or Breton: All fighters are Nords and Orcs; All archers are Bosmer and Dunmer: All rogues are Redguards and Khajjits. Imperials and Argonians are okay. It quickly got on my nerves. In Morrowind, in spite of the multitude of Bosmer Barbarians, you had the occasional Nord necromancer or Altmer warrior. Not in Oblivion.

- RPing is better in Morrowind, where you can easily get lost in the wilderness loking for something, enquiring etc. It was also more important to have social skills and a high Personality in Morrowind, whereas these are next to useless in Oblivion. In Morrowind, you could enquire on a NPC's background and class, intimidate or provoke it, whereas in Oblivion you just can't.

Quests and Politics

- There were more factions in Morrowind, and I liked the idea that if you joined some, you couldn't join some others. I would have extrapolated upon this. I especially miss the Imperial Legion and Cult.

- Vvardenfell is vibrant with politics, while in Oblivion it is represented, and limited to, disposition. You could feel the oppressive tensions, the coming changes in Morrowind, while the lack of an emperor in Cyrodiil doesn't affect much the politic area, that stays surprisingly stable - it seems that no noble faction makes a bid for power, and everybody lives well with the vaccuum.

- However, there is a sense of urgency that exists in Oblivion that is absent from Morrowind, probably because of these infernal gate popping out of the woodwork.

- Quest are generally better in Oblivion, more diversified and intricate. The quests of the Morag Tong and Dark Brotherhood can't even be compared without smiling. Implications are bigger in Oblivion, too, and that is good.

- However, you felt much more like a savior, a messaia, a statesman at the end of Morrowind.

So that's about it. Comments? Opinions? I'm interested.
Nucleon
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 9
Characters: 4

Re: Another Oblivion vs Morrowind Thread

Postby The Ninja » September 24th, 2010, 6:38 pm

I've played both, and I do miss some of the unique factors to Morrowind, like throwing stars and knives, spears, and the detailed factors, but overall, Oblivion is a better game to me. I mean, what good is an awesome weapon when it doesn't work well? (referring to the combat in Morrowind)

I LOVED the soundtrack of Oblivion... I NEVER got tired of it, but I am a musical-oriented person in the first place. Jeremy Soule is great, the combat is nice, (could be better, like more combo/counter systems at close combat techniques) and exploring in Morrowind was very anoying.... Ashlands, ashlands, and more ashlands. I like the lush, and sometimes, not so lush wilderness of Cyrodiil. And concerning armor, you CAN wear what you like, and that proves more of a challenge, beating the game with a lower level armor. I wore Leather and fur a lot, whatever I found that was light armor and that I liked. The low quality stuff. And I worked through the game just fine. And if you are having trouble, there is always that difficulty slider.

That is all I can think of at the moment.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771

Postby Nucleon » October 3rd, 2010, 3:48 pm

The Ninja wrote:I've played both, and I do miss some of the unique factors to Morrowind, like throwing stars and knives, spears, and the detailed factors, but overall, Oblivion is a better game to me. I mean, what good is an awesome weapon when it doesn't work well? (referring to the combat in Morrowind)

It's undeniable.

I LOVED the soundtrack of Oblivion... I NEVER got tired of it, but I am a musical-oriented person in the first place. Jeremy Soule is great, the combat is nice, (could be better, like more combo/counter systems at close combat techniques)

As Soule makes the music for both games, I don't think I insult him if I say that Morrowind had nice musical moments. A bit distracting, sure, as the music was less ambiant and more grandiose, but "The Road Most Travelled" is, IMO, Soul's best piece.

and exploring in Morrowind was very anoying.... Ashlands, ashlands, and more ashlands. I like the lush, and sometimes, not so lush wilderness of Cyrodiil.

No, there I disagree. Nothing can beat the far-away feel one gets when he arrives at Seyda Neen and spots the Stilt Strider. Or when one arrives at Sadrith Mora. Or Ald'Rhun and its oppressive ambiance. Or the sheer horror one feels when exploring a Sixth House cave for the first time, the jagged landscape of the West Gash, etc.

Now, that being said, the Oblivion planes are dramatic. The Painted World, beautiful. And Henantier's dreaworld, eerie. Oblivion sure has more potential, but Morrowind takes you further from home.

And concerning armor, you CAN wear what you like, and that proves more of a challenge, beating the game with a lower level armor. I wore Leather and fur a lot, whatever I found that was light armor and that I liked. The low quality stuff. And I worked through the game just fine. And if you are having trouble, there is always that difficulty slider

I don't like playing with the slider. And much more important to me, at one point all bandits wear glass. And all Marauders, Daedric. The NPCs are already so much standardized in Oblivion (I mean every Conjurer or Necromancer is either - and conveniently - an Altmer or Breton?), the fact that they all get dressed in the same way further urges me to kill them all.

I mean, graphics are one thing, but I believe one gets acustomed to spectacular graphics much more faster than variety. In short, Oblivion is a better game, but Morrowind had a better world.

And thanks for the answer.
Nucleon
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 9

Postby altmer_monk_0 » July 13th, 2011, 8:05 pm

i didnt play much of morrowind, but in the short time i did play it, it sucked. everytime i attacked i missed even when i hit the monster dead on it still didnt damage it. the graphix sucked the spellcasting sucked the dialogue sucked the traviling sucked the lockpicking sucked the game in general, sucked.
altmer_monk_0
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45
Characters: 3

Postby The Ninja » July 14th, 2011, 7:17 am

altmer_monk_0 wrote:i didnt play much of morrowind, but in the short time i did play it, it sucked. everytime i attacked i missed even when i hit the monster dead on it still didnt damage it. the graphix sucked the spellcasting sucked the dialogue sucked the traviling sucked the lockpicking sucked the game in general, sucked.

Back away from the flamethrower, there.... Correct, the graphics aren't as good as today, neither are the gameplay mechanics. But some people prefer the much higher level of imersive story behind Morrowind than behind Oblivion. They can also create more definitive characters with the more precise skills. Heck, some people prefer the text boxes rather than a zoom-shot on a face which locks you into dialogue! I have no problem with either. Each has it's pros and cons, so we should appreciate a good classic like Morowind. Combat needed serious improvement, but for the time, everything was the top of the charts for RPG/computer technology. So, the game, in fact, does not suck. Learn to appreciate the classics.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby altmer_monk_0 » July 14th, 2011, 7:48 am

ur rite, i didnt like the face zoom either first time i played it but i got used to it, plus i was disapointed wen there was no spear skill or non armer skill. but im sticking with the combat sucking, i was playing it at my friends house once and i just got the sword from the guy who falls from the sky(wats the deal with him?) and i found a mud crab and attacked it. AN HOUR i sat there swinging ma sword not hitting it once when a gaurd ran over and killed it with one hit.
altmer_monk_0
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45
Characters: 3

Postby The Ninja » July 14th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Due to horrible blade level, I'm guessing.
Ever exaggerate? lol. Even if your blade skill was ONE, you could not sit there for sixty minutes not being able to kill a mudcrab. Not only are the chances almost impossible, I'm guessing your level of patience would prevent you from going that long.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby whoman69 » July 15th, 2011, 5:06 pm

I can't say much about the feel and look of Morrowind since I didn't get too deep into it. I was able to beat mudcrabs after a bit of a tussle, but nothing else, even dropping the difficulty down. The gameplay of Oblivion is far better. If they could have kept the depth of story in Oblivion the Morrowind people would love it. I think the Shivering Isles adds a lot to the variety in Oblivion, and its a great part in the game. There are also some great mods out there like Hoarfrost Castle and Kvatch rebuilt that can add to the playing experience.

I find some of the arguments against Oblivion to be very picky. Fast travelling is not mandatory, but for me I can't spend 20 minutes getting from Chorral to Leyawin for all the Fighter's Guild quests.
whoman69
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 86
Characters: 8

Postby whoman69 » July 15th, 2011, 5:27 pm

BTW, I see that they dropped the skills down to 18 for ESV.
whoman69
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 86
Characters: 8

Postby redguard_master » August 27th, 2011, 3:53 am

They dropped hand to hand I know and I think alteration. I can see hand to hand, it has always been the poor man of the combat techniques.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
redguard_master
Protector

Forum Posts: 116
Characters: 2

Next

Return to Oblivion Discussion