OR  

Weakness to Magic

Discuss anything about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in here.

Weakness to Magic

Postby MonopolyMan » May 23rd, 2011, 4:05 am

I have a few questions regarding magic weakness, specifically through the Apprentice Birthsign.

First of all, do enchantments on enemy weapons count as "Magic?" I'd assume so, but I just want to make sure.

Next, what is the best enchantment to get around this? For example:

• 100% Spell Absorption (enchanted weapons would be unaffected by this, right?)
  • Any Resistance to Magic (100% would bring my weakness/resistance to a neutral 0, correct?)
  • 100% Spell Reflection (again, enchanted weapons would be unaffected I presume).

Regardless, it sounds like the Mundane Ring is going to be an absolute must for my character. (High Elf by the Apprentice Birthsign. Tanks melee damage like a boss, I'm just having issues with enchantments and spells)

EDIT:

Hm, I put together what seems to be a desirable gear enchantment for my character. (Check profile for stats, just keep in mind that Heavy Armor and Strength are both maxed, so I have 500 base encumbrance capacity and my armor does not weigh me down. If anyone feels something should be substituted, let me know. I'll be on the lookout for these items now :)

Helm - Inquisitor's Helm (105 Detect Life)
Amulet - Amulet of Reflection (20% Spell Reflect)
Chest - Feather Sigil Stone (Feather 125)
Shield - Spellbreaker (30% Spell Reflect)
Gauntlets - Feather Sigil Stone (Feather 125)
Ring 1 - Mundane Ring (50% Resist Magic / 35% Reflect Spell)
Ring 2 - Ring of Vitality (100% Resistance to Disease, Poison, Paralyze)
Legs - Feather Sigil Stone (Feather 125)
Boots - Feather Sigil Stone (Feather 125)

Note: all gear is Daedric

Total of effects:
105 Detect Life (I like this too much to give it up :P)
Feather 500 (on top of 500 base carrying capacity)
100% Resistance to Disease
100% Resistance to Poison
100% Resistance to Paralysis
50% Weakness to Magic (Apprentice Birthsign = -100% Mundane ring = +50% Total: -50 = -100 + 50)
25% Weakness to Fire, Frost, and Shock. (High Elf)
85% Spell Reflection
Should be 85 Armor rating (100 Armorer, repairing things to 125). I only add this because I'm using Spellbreaker rather than a Daedric shield
Last edited by MonopolyMan on May 23rd, 2011, 7:00 am, edited 7 times in total.
MonopolyMan
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 3
Characters: 1

Re: Weakness to Magic

Postby The Ninja » May 23rd, 2011, 4:10 am

Ha, I had the same problem with the "spreadsheet," which is one of the reasons I do not do much, or any magic at all. Alchemy is a speciality, but other than that, not much else........... MAYBE Illusion.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby MonopolyMan » May 23rd, 2011, 4:16 am

The Ninja wrote:Ha, I had the same problem with the "spreadsheet," which is one of the reasons I do not do much, or any magic at all. Alchemy is a speciality, but other than that, not much else........... MAYBE Illusion.

Well, so far this character has worked to perfection (albeit with a lot of grinding) to the playstyle I was trying to accomplish. I wanted an even mix of magic and melee, not having to hide from my enemies like I usually do. I even considered turning the difficulty higher than the normal, if not for these spellcasters. The point is that I love the versatility of Magic in Oblivion and really wanted to be able to make use of it on my character...however, this insane weakness to magic is a large backdraw which I am looking to overcome. Any other enchantment spaces I have (of the 9), will be likely used on feathering through sigil stones, and fortification of strength until I find said stones. Higher maximum encumbrance is very welcome to me, and I have plenty of Magicka, not to mention it restores pretty quickly. Better yet, I could just fortify intelligence/magicka (?) and swap to my feathering 0 weight clothing as needed. Anyways, I'm rambling at this point....I just need the weakness questions cleared up :lol:
MonopolyMan
Mudcrab

Postby MonopolyMan » May 23rd, 2011, 6:23 am

Edited preferred gear into first post, looking for feedback mostly on the magic protection.
MonopolyMan
Mudcrab

Postby redguard_master » June 13th, 2011, 7:44 am

yes enchanted weapons strikes are considered magic. I think you have WAY too much feather personally. They all do apply to weapons as well. There are some exceptions like reflect can't defeat magic traps cause they are considered invalid cause reflect doesn't work on inanimate stuff targets just like reflect damage can't defeat physical traps or falling. Personally my favorite of the three anti-magics is resist which has the fewest ways to get around and is easier to achieve with enchanted stuff than the other two, except for you given your weakness to magic reflect or absorb 100 is alot easier to achieve. I'm too tired to present a list at moment though so I'll get to that later. you can try the uesp website for your own research, they have lists for most of that stuff.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
redguard_master
Protector

Forum Posts: 116
Characters: 2

Return to Oblivion Discussion