OR  

Computer Stats

Discuss anything about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in here.

Computer Stats

Postby chimera » February 18th, 2009, 1:50 pm

I have a 2.4 ghz Macbook Pro with nVidia 8600M gpu. Does everyone experience skipped framerates while galloping on a horse?
Otherwise I average 40-45 fps while running or walking, etc.
chimera
Beggar

Forum Posts: 10
Characters: 2

Re: Computer Stats

Postby Codex » February 18th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Exact same thing happens to me. And not only with horses. Every non human creature I encounter makes the game lag. It is playable, but only just. I have a 3.2 ghz dual core cpu, and an nVidia GeForce N260GTX gfx card, so the hardware should be sufficient. I've done abit of reserach (read: Google) on that problem, but I haven't found a solution yet. It should be safe to say though, that it has something to do with nVidia's chips.
Codex
Citizen

Forum Posts: 30
Characters: 3

Postby Tom » February 18th, 2009, 8:54 pm

It's funny - I have the same problem you're having, Codex. I have an Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core processor with an nVidia GeForce 8600 video card, and it lags whenever any type of enemy comes into my view and tries to attack me. This problem seemed to occur gradually more and more each time I played Oblivion, and now it is practically unbearable. I am going to purchase an ATi Radeon 4000 series video card pretty soon, and hopefully saying goodbye to nVidia will solve this problem along with some other problems I am experiencing with games such as Left 4 Dead and some other newer games.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Xavier » February 18th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Yeah. I have an ATi Radeon 850 XT with an Intel 3.01 Ghz Dual Core processor. It's a pretty awesome card for being as old as it is. I can run Oblivion, Fallout 3, Counter-Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead, etc. with great graphics. I don't really have that problem though with the lag in Oblivion. I guess it is a nVidia thing.

I am thinking about getting a new card though, because I want to be able to run games like Crysis and Bioshock, and just because my card's a little outdated. That and a new monitor and case. :)
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby The Edgy Redguard » February 19th, 2009, 2:05 am

Tom wrote:It's funny - I have the same problem you're having, Codex. I have an Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core processor with an nVidia GeForce 8600 video card, and it lags whenever any type of enemy comes into my view and tries to attack me. This problem seemed to occur gradually more and more each time I played Oblivion, and now it is practically unbearable. I am going to purchase an ATi Radeon 4000 series video card pretty soon, and hopefully saying goodbye to nVidia will solve this problem along with some other problems I am experiencing with games such as Left 4 Dead and some other newer games.

I have a nVidia GeForce 8600 also, I have no issues, even with High Quality and My Mods.
Stephen Hawking: I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.
The Edgy Redguard
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 88
Characters: 1

Postby Codex » March 3rd, 2009, 3:09 pm

I think I've found the source of my problem. It may be due to my dual screen setup. There's supposedly a fix for it, but it doesn't work in my case.

nVidia Dual Screen Problem
Codex
Citizen

Forum Posts: 30

Postby oxbutcherox » April 14th, 2009, 8:24 pm

All i know about my comp : 900 mhz and more bad things so i cannot run oblivion on my comp :( that why i got oblivion on xbox 360 ;)
Elder Scrolls V is coming :)
oxbutcherox
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45

Postby Tom » April 14th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Well, I guess this is a good time to let everyone know that I retired my old nVidia GeForce 8600 GT video card and replaced it with an amazing latest-greatest card. I bought the ATi Radeon HD 4890 video card (the latest video card from ATi) about a week ago, and it is really an amazing card. I have no more lag in Oblivion like I did with my nVidia card, and this card runs everything well at close to maxed-out settings. It's so great, even though I needed to shell out an extra $300 for it. ;)
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » April 14th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Well, my computer is nothing special. I don't know the exact specifications, as what computer I actually use is liable to change and I've lost track, but I know it's not a brilliant one at less than two thousand pounds. And it can have over two hundred NPCs fighting on the screen at once, with very few problems, and shadows and other visual effects enabled. I even play with Deadly Reflex!

The computer on my boat is not so lucky...
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby Tom » April 14th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:And it can have over two hundred NPCs fighting on the screen at once, with very few problems, and shadows and other visual effects enabled.

Wow, that's pretty impressive! You must have a good video card and some good processing power in your computer.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Next

Return to Oblivion Discussion