OR  

Black Ops

Discuss all topics related to gaming and non-Elder Scrolls games in here.

Black Ops

Postby The Ninja » January 7th, 2011, 4:58 am

I just picked up Black Ops about 10 minutes ago, and decided it would be best to start a discussion thread. I am just about to put it in my disc tray and start playing, but I'd like to hear any feedback you might have with this game (Tips, tricks, easter eggs, etc.).

Two things I have heard so far is that you have to "speed up" you game, which I think isn't the best quality. I have halo, and THAT is for speedy gameplay, but nonetheless, it doens't mean that it is horrible, I just miss the days of MW2 when I'd lay prone in a bush with a silenced sniper rifle, picking off those who are unfortunate enough to pass the space around me. >:] Good times.

That is the other thing, I heard snipers were nerfed. As if I needed to take more than one shot to kill an enemy with a .50 caliber anti-vehicle rifle... -.- Srsly, I don't think we needed that. They ALSO made it harder to snipe by making the time between sighting in with your scope and hip-firing a little longer. I am twice handicapped.

Discuss!
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Re: Black Ops

Postby The Ninja » January 7th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Update.

First play seesion wasn't bad. I completed four missions on the Veteran difficulty and have just landed in Vietnam.

Maybe it's because I am playing on the hardest difficulty, but I find enemies to be bullet sponges. Five rounds later and they are still standing. It is odd how I can lay down suppressive fire and they won’t flinch unless I hit them. Maybe I didn’t notice it in the other games, but it is annoying. Maybe there should be an AI function that says “Hey, I’m being shot at! I should take cover!” as it works in reality. When you get past the nitpicking, it isn’t a bad game at all, and I rather enjoyed the first four levels of explosive crossbow arrows that seem to fly perfectly straight no matter how far the target is and don't arc an inch. ^-^
My Mentalities:

1. If it is a handgun, I’ll most likely pick it up. In the first mission when I had a fully-automatic M16 with a sort of ACOG sight and an M203 grenade launcher, I caught myself 10 minutes in with 3 magazines of pistol ammunition left. I had only shot through one magazine of my M16. As I do think of reality, I would prefer a handgun in close quarters because of mobility and flexibility of the weapon, not a bulky rifle. I had been using my pistol because of the room to room sweeping we performed, so my intuition of reality took over.

2. “Anything with a suppressor is better than what I have now.” Or NEARLY anything I might have. I traded my now empty handgun for a silenced FAL. Stealth is a great factor… If only it working in-game how it was to work in reality. Every enemy in the game should be shooting at anyone exposed… I was laying prone behind sandbags as my teammates stood to their full height, and they didn’t get shot. But as soon as I poked a hair into view, several bullets whizzed over me. In real life, no one would know to shoot the hidden soldier wielding a silent rifle… But then again, maybe I’m asking too much. :/

3. Lastly, I love sniper rifles, but I am not far enough in the campaign to have used any. Sadly, I must save this third rant for later…
The Ninja
Squire

Postby The Ninja » January 7th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention an easter egg. In the main menu, you are looking at the screen that says “Singleplayer,” “Multiplayer,” “Zombies,” etc. If you look down to see your hands strapped into the chair, you can alternate your struggle with the left and right triggers (Aim-Down-Sight and Fire buttons). You can break free in a moment’s notice and walk around the room, where (directly behind the chair) you can find a computer. When you access it, you can put in many commands that you may find here.

Plus, it seems that bullet mechanics are a little broken. I shouldn't have to lead a running target two feet ahead of him when he is 15 yards away from me.

AND.. Campaign enemies love to shoulder roll into cover. :P
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Xavier » January 8th, 2011, 1:57 am

Yeah, Black Ops is pretty cool. I do agree with the sniper nerf though, that was kind of lame. The only good sniper is the L96A1, the bolt action one. And yeah, there are some bad connection problems with this game. It is generally good, but there's seems to be a much higher of a chance to be killed when you're already behind a wall. That seems to happen so much in this game.

The shotguns are an extreme disappointment. There are only four and there is a total of three attachments for all of the shotguns. The Stakeout only has a grip, which is lame because you might as well get it on there because there aren't any other attachments to compete with it as it only reduces recoil. The SPAS only has a silencer which is just awful for how much closer you have to be with that gun to not get hitmarkers all the time. And the HS10 only has dual-wield, which is also just stupid. What about a sawed-off or a quick reload attachment for the Olympia? And what about red-dot sights? As useless as everyone says they are on shotguns, they still can make them look cool and can actually be useful in some situations. And if that isn't bad enough, the shotguns aren't even that good in this game. You get so many hitmarkers. The shotguns were way better in MW2 and they were secondaries then.

Oh, and another thing, Second Chance is just horrible. I don't know why for the fourth time they would put that useless perk in the game. I honestly could never see myself actually using that on one of my classes. Ever. Most of the time you are killed right away when you are downed with that perk. I don't understand WHY it's still in the series. Please, just take it out and put a better perk in. Reconnaissance from WaW would be great. For those that don't know, Reconnaissance showed enemy dogs, tanks, and artillery strikes on your map if a UAV was on. I think they should rename it for Black Ops and make it so you can see enemy RC-XDs, enemy dogs, and enemy mortar strikes/napalm strikes locations on your mini-map if your UAV is on. Then the pro perk would be having a UAV that lasts 25 seconds longer. That would be a lot better.

Sorry, went off on a little rant there. The game is fun though. The campaign is just absolutely amazing, except for the last level which was sort of disappointing in my opinion.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby The Ninja » January 8th, 2011, 2:16 am

I liked that "rant" and encourage more of it. You play it on the 360, right? I think I saw a clan match on youtube (I couldn't find it again for the life of me) where the entire clan used second chance. It cut their death rates in half, and the teamates just popped them up from the ground like nothing happened. Was a good idea, but they were excelent and very well co-ordinated players.

About the computer terminal, if you type in DOA (for Dead Ops Arcade) you will get an achievement AND, if you play it for any length of time, you'll get the "Insert Coin" achievement. :mrgreen: I am an achievement *blank*.

Lol, if there are any mistakes with my typing above, it is because I jsut spent three hours weeding, AND after which my fingers have swollen. Maybe I picked something to which I am allergic. It is hilarious how large and tight my eight longer fingers feel. /excuse for horrible typing skills :mrgreen:
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Xavier » January 8th, 2011, 2:35 am

Yeah, lol. I forgot to mention that you could type that in to play Dead Ops.

Dead Ops is great for being a little minigame.
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Postby The Ninja » January 8th, 2011, 3:00 am

I got to the "Prison Break" and I lost all my lives. lol, just make sure you DO NOT type in ARC3 INTEL, otherwise you will lose the ability to earn the achievements for finding all the intel.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Xavier » January 8th, 2011, 9:16 pm

The Ninja wrote:I got to the "Prison Break" and I lost all my lives. lol, just make sure you DO NOT type in ARC3 INTEL, otherwise you will lose the ability to earn the achievements for finding all the intel.

Lol. Why is that even a command in the first place?
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Postby The Ninja » January 9th, 2011, 3:47 am

To make you curse/throw a controller/go shoot up Treyarch. :P

I am stuck on a certain part on Veteran capaign. Where you exit the large pipe tunnel and come out on the top of a hill with otehr marines. It seems that endless Vietnamese will storm the hill unless you do something with the Napalm barrels... I can't figure out what that something is... I shoot them, grenade them, and I can't get close without becoming the largest target in the game's universe. Even aliens from planets away would shoot at me, but not Woods!! He could be standing in the middle of an army of enemies and I would stilll be shot toward, miles away. -.- Makes no sense. But, it taught me the full potential of diving for cover. :) If I could save a film from campaign, you could watch as an RPG flew toward me and exploded after I leapt over and landed behind sandbags. It was epic.

Sniper rifles.... I tried the bolt action, and I even put a suppressor on it. It seems that there is no leading what-so-ever with it, which takes away some of the reality that the game brings. :/ Headshots are to be done like in Halo, but in COD 4, leading was essential. I miss those days. I might as well put a suppressor on the WA2000. Semiauto is better than bolt action in-game.

Favorite multiplayer maps? Nuke town is the size of a backyard ( :P ) and Jungle can ambush you from unlimited directions.... Still, those are my favorite maps so far. :)
The Ninja
Squire

Postby The Ninja » January 9th, 2011, 7:56 am

Just completed that mission... *sigh* Too bad Treyarch doesn't think to put "Light and kick barrels down into trench" in the mission objectives. Youtube saved my butt ... AGAIN.

Right now, I'm with shilly little Reznov, carrying a hatchet, and showing my ninja skillz. :P
The Ninja
Squire

Next

Return to General Gaming