OR  

Left 4 Dead

Discuss all topics related to gaming and non-Elder Scrolls games in here.

Left 4 Dead

Postby Xavier » February 15th, 2009, 12:28 am

I'm sure many of you have heard of this game made by Valve. It's definitely my favorite game right now without doubt. In Left 4 Dead, you play as one of three survivors and you must make your way through campaign fighting zombies. It's the greatest co-op game I have ever played. There are four campaigns, No Mercy, Death Toll, Dead Air, and Blood Harvest. And you can either play on Easy, Normal, Advanced, or Expert. It's for the PC and Xbox 360, but I definitely recommend it for the PC. You can check out the game more here.

There is gonna be some DLC coming out this Spring, probably sometime in March or April. They say it's gonna include a new multiplayer mode, which is probably going to be Survival mode. Survival mode is where you stay in one building or house, and fend off zombies as they come. They are also going to add two new campaigns for Versus mode. Versus mode is where four people can play as the Infected (zombies), or Special Infected (which are zombies with special abilities), and four people can play as survivors. The survivors go through a normal campaign and the four zombies must hunt the survivors. Lastly, they are going to add a PC mod-making tool, which allows you to create your own campaigns/levels. They will be available through Left 4 Dead's online matchmaking system.

The DLC should be pretty awesome. But I think it would be cool if they added stats that you could look at. Like, "Infected Killed", or "Accuracy Percentage". There was word that there was something like that up for one day, but Valve took it down because it was too buggy. Some believe that they will release the stat page again before or along with the DLC.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Re: Left 4 Dead

Postby The King » February 15th, 2009, 3:18 am

It's definetly not the first player experience I had hoped for. But then again, it's not meant for great single player.It's meant to play with a friend, or online. Looking at it this way, it's a magnificent game.
"Nothing hurts my world,
Just affects the ones around me
When sin's deep in my blood,
You'll be the one to fall."-Avenged Sevenfold
The King
Brawler

Forum Posts: 220
Characters: 0

Postby Taylor » February 15th, 2009, 6:04 am

I think I am in love with this game. To further explain the story to you, I'll share my knowledge of it.

For an unknown reason, a wild infection has altered most of humanity into deadly zombies. However, there are four survivors. They are Louis, Zoey, Bill, and Francis. How they all came across each other is also unknown, but they probably met up running from the infected. To get through each level, you must battle your way through hordes of zombies to get to a safehouse, which contains health, weapons, and ammunition. However, getting through the levels is easier said than done. Any little thing that you do could send a horde of unfriendly beasts on you with no intent but to kill.

Watch this video to understand what I just said a little bit clearer.
Taylor
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45

Postby Xavier » February 15th, 2009, 7:43 am

The King wrote:It's definitely not the first player experience I had hoped for. But then again, it's not meant for great single player.It's meant to play with a friend, or online. Looking at it this way, it's a magnificent game.

I really don't know why people say that single player is a down side. That was one of Gamespot's downsides for the review of this game. It wasn't meant to be a single player game. Single player is just there for beginners, practice, if you don't have an internet connection, for achievement whores, or if people want a challenge. The game was intentionally meant to be played online with friends or random people. What else do you want from single player mode? I mean, I know the bots are kind of bad in a way, but still. Sorry, King, I'm not really pointing this at you, it's just in general because I've heard other people say it. But you did say it wasn't meant for single player. But I for one, actually enjoy playing single player.
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Postby iron spartan101 » February 16th, 2009, 12:15 pm

love it, love playing it with mates, love it on my own i think its good all around single and multiplayer but i think its still good on singleplayer. Zoey rules!
iron spartan101
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 67
Characters: 1

Postby Tom » February 16th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Single player is an added bonus to the game, so how can it be a downside to Left 4 Dead? It really doesn't make sense. If you don't like single player mode, then just don't play it and play multiplayer mode instead - what's so hard about that?

Anyway, I really do love this game. The reason I love it goes beyond the fact that the graphics and gameplay are fantastic and the environments are well-fit for such a game. I also love the little things of the game, like how in each safe house you see writing on the walls of people who were there before, and it's like a conversation going on between the people that were there before and the people that were there later. I always find it fun to read what's on the walls. Also, I like how the characters say funny things once in a while. For example, in the elevator in the fourth level of No Mercy, there is always one character that says something funny, and it's randomized so that it's not the same character saying the same thing each time you play it. Also, when you're fighting regularly, I like how some of the characters will just blurt out random things. I think those little small points of the game add a sort of personality trait to each of the characters and makes the player feel like they really are in the game and that they really are their character. Those are the types of games that I like the most.

Just as a little side note: I used to hate being Zoey and I would always hate it when I forgot to choose my character and I was automatically assigned to be her. Then, one day I was playing the last level of No Mercy for about three hours with these three guys who were funny as you-know-what and had a lot of good plans going for beating the level. When we were fighting off the hordes and all that, I actually felt like I was Zoey for a little bit (minus the fact that she's a woman). ;) Now, ever since then, Zoey is my favorite character and I don't mind playing as her anymore. Well, I just thought that would be interesting to share.

Overall, Left 4 Dead is one of my top 5 favorite games of all-time. There are some games that I've played that have left a mark of greatness on me that will stay for a long time, but I think that as I play Left 4 Dead more, it may end up leaving a bigger mark of greatness on me than any game ever did in the past.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Xavier » February 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Zoey was always my first character pick from the start.
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Postby Taylor » March 2nd, 2009, 3:19 am

I always pick Louis. You've got to go with the black man.
Taylor
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45

Postby Tom » April 9th, 2009, 6:21 pm

It's been a little while since this topic has been posted in, but I want to just inform anyone who's interested that the Left 4 Dead DLC is coming out on April 21st, 2009. I'm really looking forward to this release, as I'm sure all Left 4 Dead players are.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Xavier » April 13th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Yeah, I made a post about the survival part of the DLC on another forum, I will post it here as well:

The map will be completely Infected free and you can choose where you want to hold out. Then when you are ready, you can call in the horde from the radio. My guess is that there are a few radios throughout the map and you can call the one that is closest to your hold-out area, or it could be something different. Then, the Infected keep coming and you have to survive for as long as you can. At times, there can be 2 Smokers at once, or 2 Hunters, and I heard somewhere that there could maybe even be 2 Tanks at times, which would be insane. Survival mode has 16 maps, 15 maps coming from existing campaigns, and 1 coming from a new level called the "Lighthouse", which is said to be the hardest of them all. You also have a timer which looks like this:

It shows your team record next to the actual gameplay timer. You also get medals for a certain time limit. You need to survive for at least four minutes to get bronze, six minutes to get silver, and eight minutes to get gold. That's what they say, but it could change. There are also online leader boards to compare with other players. I guess they will be sorted by map and difficulty.

Here is a screenshot of the airport chapter in Dead Air from a survival mode video:

Also, here are some video links of survival mode, so you can get a taste of what it will be like:

Sources:

Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Return to General Gaming