OR  

Suggestion for Character Updating [split]

Post discussions, suggestions, your opinions, and feature requests for The Elder Stats in here. Discuss the site with other members and developers, alike.

Suggestion for Character Updating [split]

Postby 5tealthh » June 23rd, 2009, 5:39 am

There should be a mod that connects to the Elder Stats server in game (for PC users only) and pulls the stats out of the game for that character every time you get on Oblivion with that character.

So when you start up Oblivion, an Elder Stats Mod comes up and wants your Username and Password (I guess it could remember it maybe) and asks you to select the character you're playing as from a list of your characters here on the site. Or if you're playing a character you don't have on the site you select "No Character" and it doesn't update.
Just an idea, don't flame me for suggesting it, I just wish there was an Elder Stats Mod for PC, is all.
5tealthh
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 1
Characters: 1

Re: How often do you update your character on ES?

Postby The Ninja » June 23rd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Good idea. And, I gotta say, awsome picture, and sig.

At my worst I am still uber pwnzorz...

:lol:
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Tom » June 23rd, 2009, 6:18 pm

5tealthh wrote:There should be a mod that connects to the Elder Stats server in game (for PC users only) and pulls the stats out of the game for that character every time you get on Oblivion with that character.

So when you start up Oblivion, an Elder Stats Mod comes up and wants your Username and Password (I guess it could remember it maybe) and asks you to select the character you're playing as from a list of your characters here on the site. Or if you're playing a character you don't have on the site you select "No Character" and it doesn't update.
Just an idea, don't flame me for suggesting it, I just wish there was an Elder Stats Mod for PC, is all.

Actually, the staff has been considering an idea such as this from the time The Elder Stats was released. The only problem we have with this is that PC users who are playing Oblivion but are not connected to the Internet will have problems getting updates to process to the server on The Elder Stats. However, we did think of another idea. We were thinking of creating a Mod where, when you make a save for a character, a text document is created in your Oblivion folder on your computer. Then, you could upload that text document and, based on the information that was placed in the text document upon saving the character, your character on The Elder Stats would be updated with the info that was in that document. It's still an experimental idea, and we're not even sure if we have the proper knowledge to create such a Mod. If we find anyone who is interested in helping us create a Mod for The Elder Stats such as this, then we would certainly be willing to do it.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby The Raven » June 23rd, 2009, 6:34 pm

Tom wrote:-Stuff-

*Cough*Kestral*cough*
The Raven
Protector

Forum Posts: 100
Characters: 0

Postby Xavier » June 23rd, 2009, 7:01 pm

5tealthh wrote:don't flame me for suggesting it, I just wish there was an Elder Stats Mod for PC, is all.

Ah, we wouldn't flame you. :) Yeah, like Tom said it was an idea we had from the start of the website. Of course it would be a great idea because it would be tons of less work for the members and it would show the true stats of their characters. People wouldn't be able to lie about their stats. But, I don't know if this would be an optional method of displaying your stats. I'm guessing it would be.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Kestral » June 23rd, 2009, 9:14 pm

I'm not familiar with any function that could make a file for Oblivion. But perhaps if someone can make a program to extract the character data from a .ess file. (Oblivion's save file extension) I can't do such thing, but there has to be someone out there...

The Raven wrote:
Tom wrote:-Stuff-

*Cough*Kestral*cough*

Oh, shut up. :p
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229

Postby Tom » June 23rd, 2009, 9:16 pm

Kestral wrote:But perhaps if someone can make a program to extract the character data from a .ess file. (Oblivion's save file extension)

That's what I've been trying to do. I'm not sure how to extract that sort of information for an Oblivion save file, though. I made a post on the Official Forums about it, but I haven't gotten an answer that suits our needs.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Re: Suggestion for Character Updating [split]

Postby Kestral » June 23rd, 2009, 9:44 pm

I've found something interesting.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:Save_File_Format

Using a command in the console, a txt file of my .ess file was made. The file is really long, but, I assume if we can work things out, we can do what's in mind.

The first portion is convenient. The list of factions the character is in, like:
Code: Select all
FACTs:

01000CE6    26 00000008 125 Partners                                - Faction Reactions(26)     
  0C02DCA1     1 00000004 125                                         - Faction Flags(1)         
  0001DBCD     1 00000004 125 Player Faction                          - Faction Flags(1)         
  1700173E     1 00000004 125 Frostcrag Spire Atronach Faction        - Faction Flags(1)   

Then we're treated with the list of cells in the save file. Then treated with the list of references. Ow.
Then we run into seemingly important stuff. For anyone who has done what the article says, ctrl+f, then search for "ACHRs" w/o the quotes.

I found this:
00000014  4705 2A000084 125 Nightingale

A Hex address, a value, and the characters name. A way to extract this would be easy I assume.
But, it seems that "ACHRs" is not about the PC. But NPCs. And the PC is the first one. Still vital, I assume.

A lot of NPCs...

Wow...

And creatures...

To skip this, search "BOOKs:" I assume it's a list of books the Player has had in their inventory.
Then we find the quests!

From what I can tell, there are two values that I'll see:

18000004 and 08000000.

The quests I see with 18000004 attached seem to be quests I've started. (This includes quests NOT SEEN BY THE PLAYER.) And quests attached with 08000000 are the opposite. Quests, I haven't started.

But that's all I found.

The only instance of my character's name (Nightingale) was found twice, and both of those, not including my statistics or skills.

If anyone can try to tackle this, it would be much obliged. (Note: This is all I found regarding the character.
  00000014  4705 2A000084 125 Nightingale                             - High(3366)                Moved(28)                 Animation(143)            Inventory(1159)           Equipment(4)              Crime Gold(5)             
  FF000941  2468 0950004B 125 Nightingale                             - Low(108)                  Form Flags(4)             Created(36)               Havok Moved(30)           Inventory(1789)           Movement Extra(516)       Game Modifiers(12)        Magic Modifiers(0)        Life State(1)   
  00000007  1373 10000278 125 Nightingale                             - Base Attributes(8)        Base Data(16)             Spell List(1294)          Factions(17)              Base Modifiers(17)        Skills(21)               
  FF000940   881 00000000  0 Nightingale                             -
Kestral
Brawler

Postby Tom » June 23rd, 2009, 10:11 pm

I remember looking into that same thing about a month ago, Kestral, and I had a lot of trouble trying to find where the character's information and statistics were stored in the save file. Maybe we should head over to the Official Forums and ask there. They have a forum for Oblivion Modifications, and they may be able to tell us more about where in that file we can find the information (such as skills, attributes, etc.) for the character.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Kestral » June 23rd, 2009, 10:12 pm

Alright then.
Kestral
Brawler