OR  

Creating a character that is a custom race

Post discussions, suggestions, your opinions, and feature requests for The Elder Stats in here. Discuss the site with other members and developers, alike.

Creating a character that is a custom race

Postby Oddbrother » January 3rd, 2010, 11:44 pm

With your permission, I would like to create a character in my database that is a custom race. Not only will this race be a mod and exploit, but... I was wondering if custom races would be disqualified from the leaderboards?
Oddbrother
Beggar

Forum Posts: 14
Characters: 2

Re: Creating a character that is a custom race

Postby The Ninja » January 4th, 2010, 2:04 am

I would guess that it would be a no, but wait for Xavier or Tom to answer.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Tom » January 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Sorry, but the current system employed on The Elder Stats does not allow you to choose a custom race for a character. The system is setup so that only the default races are able to be chosen, therefore not allowing someone to create their own custom race. You can, of course, create your own custom class for a character. But, at this time, there is no way to even create a custom race for a character, you can only use the predefined races that are from the original unmodded Oblivion game. Sorry for the inconvenience. However, if you were able to create a custom race with the current system, then the character would still be allowed to be shown on the leaderboards (if that makes you feel any better). :)
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Oddbrother » January 4th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Hmm... in that case, if I found a workaround, would you allow it?
Oddbrother
Beggar

Postby Tom » January 6th, 2010, 1:32 am

It depends. What workaround do you propose?
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Oddbrother » January 6th, 2010, 11:04 am

Editing the 'Primary Information' form in the 'Add New Character Wizard' page.

Although the 'Race' choices are limited down to the basic Oblivion ones, I could use a DOM Editing add-on (like Firebug) to modify that part and add my own race name into it. When I'm finished creating my character, the system will accept that information.

This is only a temporary edit, like fixing a bug to send information properly to a server, especially if you received info from it improperly (much like a script error in IE that you have to fix to fill out a form). There is no direct connection or permanent changes to what the system asks you in any way. It's only what you answer that's different.

I should also add that since your character system doesn't have/add race or gender specific stat points or spells, that I would think this would be okay.

I'll make a character right now with the custom race, and you can judge from there whether that's fine or not:
http://www.elderstats.com/character/S1/699
Oddbrother
Beggar

Postby Tom » January 7th, 2010, 1:30 am

Sure, that's fine. Currently, race doesn't interfere with any calculations done for character Score or the character leaderboards. If we ever change the way character Score is calculated (which will eventually happen), then this may be an issue later. However, for now, it is acceptable.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Oddbrother » January 7th, 2010, 1:58 am

Thank you! I'll start filling up info and stats on my characters now. :D
Oddbrother
Beggar

Postby The Ninja » January 7th, 2010, 6:21 am

Oddbrother wrote:I'll make a character right now with the custom race, and you can judge from there whether that's fine or not:
http://www.elderstats.com/character/S1/699

"Ninja" is my calss.... Good choice! I think it would be nice if you gave your race a proper and legnthy background in which we may decifer what it is/from where it came.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Oddbrother » January 8th, 2010, 4:55 am

The Ninja wrote:I think it would be nice if you gave your race a proper and legnthy background in which we may decifer what it is/from where it came.
Do you mean story-wise? *ahem*

"Born and raised from the distant, snowy lands of Galticka, Ri'Vrez had been a troublemaker in her childhood. She had always stood up to her corrupt friends and snuck out every night to pull pranks and throw parties. It wasn't long before she was found sailing the distant seas to the continent of Tamriel, where she could start a life of her own. However, before her departure, she found that her race had suddenly neared extinction when she saw her entire hometown in flames, which, little did she know, was set by the very same daedric cult responsible for slaying the emperor of Tamriel. Upon arrival in Cyrodiil, she was immediately sent to prison for neglect of her family and exile of her tribe. Since then, it is unknown whether or not she turns a new leaf."

But if you're talking technical terms, then...

"Hailing from the distant, snowy lands of Galticka, the endangered Tylians are formidable warriors that rely on both their strength and agility, whether it be for their survival, or to slay their enemies as soon as possible. Although they have the same perks and abilities as the Nords and Khajiit, the Tylians are much stronger and more disciplined. (In other words, you have a head start: Unlike every default race which starting stat points add up to a total of 320, this race has 416. :roll: )"

Although this is the one and only custom race I'm playing Oblivion with, I can't seem to stop installing more and more mods.

Blame this person who first made this race, three years ago. He has never been heard from since.

Will that do?
Oddbrother
Beggar

Next

Return to Site Feedback & Discussion