OR  

Two Suggestions

Post discussions, suggestions, your opinions, and feature requests for The Elder Stats in here. Discuss the site with other members and developers, alike.

Two Suggestions

Postby josjie » February 19th, 2009, 9:24 pm

1) Concerning "profile views" for every character on this website: if I press F5, another "profile view" is added. Unique profile views based on your IP adress would be better. Now I can just press F5 as many times as I want so it seems like a lot of people have seen my profile.

2) A Suggestions topic in this subforum would be nice ;) Just a sticky topic where people can post idea's and suggestions.
josjie
Beggar

Forum Posts: 27
Characters: 0

Re: Two Suggestions

Postby Xavier » February 19th, 2009, 10:00 pm

That's odd, because it doesn't add when I refresh my page. I think it only counts 2 and then it stops counting, which is fine. Also, for the sticky topic, we don't have to do that because that's what this whole forum is for.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Tom » February 20th, 2009, 1:01 am

josjie wrote:1) Concerning "profile views" for every character on this website: if I press F5, another "profile view" is added. Unique profile views based on your IP adress would be better. Now I can just press F5 as many times as I want so it seems like a lot of people have seen my profile.

Each time someone views a profile, a cookie is stored in their browser that lets the profile know that the person has already viewed the profile, and so it doesn't count any additional views if the person refreshes the page. I don't know why it's working for you because it shouldn't. However, one little bug I've noticed with the profile views system is that if someone navigates to a new tab on a character's profile, it adds one additional profile view to that character if the person hasn't navigated to that tab before. However, if they refresh their browser or navigate back to that tab again, it doesn't count that as an additional profile view. I do admit that the system has its flaws, but refreshing the same page shouldn't increase a character's profile view count more than once or twice. I plan on revising the system in future releases of The Elder Stats, but that's not one of my top priorities right now because it seems to be working fine.

And, in response to your second suggestion:
Xavier wrote:That's odd, because it doesn't add when I refresh my page. I think it only counts 2 and then it stops counting, which is fine. Also, for the sticky topic, we don't have to do that because that's what this whole forum is for.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby josjie » March 1st, 2009, 11:12 am

Understood :)

When I refresh the page now, no "Page view" is added, so somehow it is fixed. And thanks for your replies ;)
josjie
Beggar

Forum Posts: 27
Characters: 0

Postby Tom » March 2nd, 2009, 6:10 pm

The profile views system is a little buggy, and I will try to see what I can do to make it better. Thanks for your suggestions, though - they mean a lot to us!
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Return to Site Feedback & Discussion