OR  

What languages do you speak?

Relax and discuss any general topics not related to The Elder Stats or gaming with other members in here.

Re: What languages do you speak?

Postby The King » June 28th, 2009, 12:30 am

The Ninja wrote:Well... Let's see... English is a must. ;)

I speak a little Japanese (Let's face it. They're awsome! Ninjas, Samurai, Sushi, everything is awsome!)
And I can say "no" in five languages! ;) :

English: "No"
Spanish: "No"
Japanese: "iie" (E-eh)
German: "Nien" (Nine)
Russian: "Niet" (Nee-yet)

And in sign language; A quick punch to the face, followed directly be a well placed kick to the groin.
"Nothing hurts my world,
Just affects the ones around me
When sin's deep in my blood,
You'll be the one to fall."-Avenged Sevenfold
The King
Brawler

Forum Posts: 220
Characters: 0

Postby The Raven » June 28th, 2009, 10:03 am

Actually, it's "Nein" instead of "Nien".

That German word for "no"
The Raven
Protector

Forum Posts: 100

Postby Kestral » June 28th, 2009, 10:09 pm

The Ninja wrote:I speak a little Japanese (Let's face it. They're awsome! Ninjas, Samurai, Sushi, everything is awsome!)
And I can say "no" in five languages! ;)

I can use so many terms at this moment, it's not even funny.

Also, it's awesome not awsome. So much for your grandma being an English Major, or professor, or whatever.
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229

Postby The Ninja » June 29th, 2009, 3:11 am

The Raven wrote:Actually, it's "Nein" instead of "Nien".

That German word for "no"

Sorry, typo.

Kestral wrote:
The Ninja wrote:I speak a little Japanese (Let's face it. They're awsome! Ninjas, Samurai, Sushi, everything is awsome!)
And I can say "no" in five languages! ;)

I can use so many terms at this moment, it's not even funny.

Also, it's awesome not awsome. So much for your grandma being an English Major, or professor, or whatever.

Look, I can accept correction, but don't diss my grandmother. I don't LIVE with her, I just know a couple rules that she has beaten into my head while on visits and editing my stories.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Kestral » June 29th, 2009, 3:36 am

I'm not "dissing" your grandmother, it raises some questions on the liability of a few things, but that isn't the topic.
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » July 2nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

Most people you'll run into in the US will tell you that those two are the same thing, and I have to say that I agree with "most people."

Extinct languages are either revived or used a lot in religion or professions. They include Manx, Cornish, Latin, and Old Irish. The latter two are probably the most famous examples, really, as they're the foundation for so many modern languages and dialects.
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby The King » July 3rd, 2009, 12:32 am

Nobody knows an extinct language, that's why its called extinct. It no longer exists, if we knew it, it wouldn't be extinct.

Extinct language- A language nobody knows about, or knows how to speak.
Dead language- a language spoken by people, but is not the primary language of any country.

If you were to ask any professional linguist, they'll tell you those exact defintions, but with different wording.
"Nothing hurts my world,
Just affects the ones around me
When sin's deep in my blood,
You'll be the one to fall."-Avenged Sevenfold
The King
Brawler

Forum Posts: 220

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » July 6th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Damn, I got it the wrong way around :(

My gf will kick me :roll:
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby Torapa » August 15th, 2013, 2:15 am

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:The Spanish are white... :?

My encounter with other users of other dialects

I know the feeling. With Highland Gaelic, there are dialects for every island, and there are ninety islands that are permanently inhabited, a few hundred that are seasonally inhabited, and hundreds more than are uninhabited but the placenames on which may be unpronouncable in a different dialect to the island's own, extinct, one.

Most of the dialects on the mainland are replaced by a combination of the two largest insular ones - Lewis, courtesy of Radio nan Gaidheal, and Skye, courtesy of Sabhal Mor Ostaig. But there are no common words between the different areas of the mainland, because they still borrow different words and still manage to change them.

My other native language, Scots, has a smaller number of dialects, but each of them are drastically different, and are sometimes mutually unintelligible with each other - Gaelic and English are out of the equation!

Don't forget Cape Breton Scots Gaelic! Mary Jane Lamond is a wonderful promoter of the tongue.
Torapa
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 8
Characters: 4

Postby DikkeVetteVlinder » December 23rd, 2014, 12:30 am

Dutch and English only. I can say a few things in German and French, but nothing serious. I can hardly order a drink in French :')
DikkeVetteVlinder
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 4
Characters: 10

Previous

Return to The Lounge