OR  

What languages do you speak?

Relax and discuss any general topics not related to The Elder Stats or gaming with other members in here.

Re: What languages do you speak?

Postby Xavier » April 16th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Most Spanish speaking people have a darker tone of skin, like Mexicans.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » April 16th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Ah, right. I thought he meant Spanish people who spoke the language. I forgot America has a larger immigrant population than here.
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby Codex » April 16th, 2009, 11:28 pm

J'Ghasta wrote:...and norway (do no how to spell that)

Norwegian ;)

Anyways, I speak Norwegian, English, and a bit German, Can understand Swedish, Dansih and some Icelandic.
Codex
Citizen

Forum Posts: 30
Characters: 3

Postby Katherine » April 17th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Learning languages is my hobby :-)
I speak:
German
French
Portuguese (Brasilian)
Japanese
Italian

Also Latin but it doesnt really count
Katherine
Citizen

Forum Posts: 48
Characters: 1

Postby Tom » April 17th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Latin is considered a "dead language" even though it's the basis for many modern languages. Kind of interesting how it just stopped being used.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » April 18th, 2009, 12:04 am

It's not - there is a fancy word for extinct languages that are still spoken, but I forgot what it was. Anyway, that's what Latin is classed as, along with Old Irish and a few others.
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Postby Katherine » April 18th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:It's not - there is a fancy word for extinct languages that are still spoken, but I forgot what it was. Anyway, that's what Latin is classed as, along with Old Irish and a few others.

yes! but I've forgotten what it's called too :(
Katherine
Citizen

Forum Posts: 48
Characters: 1

Postby Tom » April 18th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:It's not

Well, most people that I have encountered consider Latin to be a dead language in the world. I live in the United States, so maybe ideas are different here than they are where you live.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Teinaava » April 19th, 2009, 9:29 pm

The only thing I can speak fluently is English, although I do know a little bit of Spanish, and a very small amount of Norwegian I learned through listening to songs in Norwegian .
Teinaava
Past Contributor
Protector

Forum Posts: 172
Characters: 3

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » April 20th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Well, most people that I have encountered consider Latin to be a dead language in the world. I live in the United States, so maybe ideas are different here than they are where you live

They don't speak English where I live, so naturally... ;)

Most people I know think England founded the UK and conquered America, and that Scottish people wore kilts, and that's wrong.

It's just that the majority of people don't care about actual definitions or facts, and they just take things at face value. The word 'nation,' for example, is not the same thing as country. But not many people on the street would tell you that. There's a special word for Latin and Old Irish - every linguist I know (and I know a few linguists and historians) says there is. It's something to do with the difference between extinct languages and dead ones, but I still can't remember it.
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge