OR  

What do I do?

Relax and discuss any general topics not related to The Elder Stats or gaming with other members in here.

Re: What do I do?

Postby Kestral » February 15th, 2010, 5:54 am

The King wrote:
Tom wrote:
Kestral wrote:Sometimes some installations of PhpBB can muck up.

True. phpBB isn't exactly "resource friendly", especially that 7+ MB file size. ;) I still love it, though. I would never go with any other forum software.

phpBB is what most people do. Or at least what most of the larger forums use.

Actually, places that are generally strapped for cash or are non-profit. One place that is the exact opposite of this are the Sims 3 forums, other than that it's either vBulletin (100$/yr) or their own forum software.

Edit: Damn, necro-quoted. :s
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229
Characters: 0

Postby Tom » February 15th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Kestral wrote:Actually, places that are generally strapped for cash or are non-profit.

While that is true for most, there are plenty of forums belonging to rich companies and businesses that are powered by phpBB. What they do is simply remove the phpBB copyright from the footer of the forum (not illegal, but frowned upon) and they suppose it makes them seem more "professional" to their clientele, even though they didn't have one hand in developing the wonderful phpBB script.

Over at phpBB.com, the Team is creating a "showcase" of websites that use phpBB as their forum solutions. Almost half of the websites we've gathered so far are fairly large groups or companies that removed the phpBB copyright from the footer. phpBB is by no means a "cheap" solution (maybe monetary-wise, but not performance-wise), but many companies that do not want to spend money on a forum solution such as vBulletin end up just installing phpBB and removing the copyright. How kind of them.

On a lighter note, phpBB can do everything vBulletin can with a few simple MODs, and it's all free of charge. Why people continue to pay exorbitant amounts for a vBulletin license is beyond my understanding.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Kestral » February 15th, 2010, 7:28 pm

I'll have to see those websites myself, but it does seem under-handed to remove that copyright. And I wasn't calling PhpBB 'cheap' performance wise, if I did I'd have to remove my own tounge for blasphemy. Is the showcase up?
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229
Characters: 0

Postby Tom » February 15th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Kestral wrote:And I wasn't calling PhpBB 'cheap' performance wise, if I did I'd have to remove my own tounge for blasphemy.

I know you weren't, I was just stating that some vBulletin fans may think that. ;)

Kestral wrote:Is the showcase up?

Not yet. We're still gathering sites for the showcase. If we can get it together in time, it should probably be public in a month or two. I'm not entirely sure about what the plans are for its release, but it certainly shouldn't be too hard on the Website Team's part.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Previous

Return to The Lounge