OR  

[Feature Request] Spell Book

Post discussions, suggestions, your opinions, and feature requests for The Elder Stats in here. Discuss the site with other members and developers, alike.

[Feature Request] Spell Book

Postby Magistrate » January 6th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Would it be possible to add a Spell Book? Between the vanilla spells and the mod-induced spells I have plenty I would like to list divided by school of magic, difficulty etc... Plus it would be nice in the "favourite spell" field to be able to add custom, mod-induced spells.
Magistrate
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 6
Characters: 1

Re: [Feature Request] Spell Book

Postby Tom » January 8th, 2013, 5:53 am

Hi, Magistrate. Thanks for the feature request!

Such a feature is certainly possible to implement, though it may be difficult to find a good place to implement it in the current Skyrim character profile design. Besides that, though, I understand your reasoning for requesting such a feature.

However, I have to question how many other people would be interested in such a feature? If there is more interest from some others in seeing such a feature come about, I could place it higher on the priority list for development. ;)
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Magistrate » January 8th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Actually, thanks to you for your great site; as for where to place it, currently in my profile I used the "Info and Bio" page:
http://www.elderstats.com/character/2633/#!/info

Maybe it is possible to simply add a new label next to "Journal"? Also, would it be possible to launch a poll (much like the journal thing) in order to see what everybody wants? (I guess it'd be easier to check the pulse of the community that way).

@Other People: Hey you mages, make your voice be heard, it's time to showcase our spellbooks :)
Magistrate
Mudcrab

Postby Tom » January 10th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Glad you like the site! I do my best. ;)

Magistrate wrote:Maybe it is possible to simply add a new label next to "Journal"?

That's a possibility, but two concerns come to my mind with that particular placement:

1) It may not be used by very many people, so having a tab in the top navigation menu might be a little undeserved, unless the feature proves to be rather popular after its release, and:

2) I can't really fit another link in that navigation menu, mostly because longer character names require that extra blank space to the left of the "Profile" tab in the menu. I've already had to modify the menu tabs to make them smaller to fit the new "Journal" tab, so doing that again may be even more difficult. Maybe it would be best suited in "Bio & Info", similar to how you have it situated in your character's profile. Or, maybe the Bio & Info page should have a set of sub-tabs (much like the "Stats" page does for "General", "Crime", "Magic", etc.), which is actually not a bad idea. That would make the Bio & Info page more organized, whilst making room for more new features, such as a spellbook. It's nice how one idea can lead to another. :)

Magistrate wrote:Also, would it be possible to launch a poll (much like the journal thing) in order to see what everybody wants? (I guess it'd be easier to check the pulse of the community that way).

That's probably the best way to get an idea from the community. The only problem I have is that our community is rather inactive (or, in my opinion, nonexistent). But, we managed to scrounge up some votes for the character Journals feature, so maybe we will be able to do the same for this, as well. And please note that it's not that I don't want to add this feature, I simply want to gauge the interest of Elder Stats users in a spellbook feature to determine where its development should lay on my priority list.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Magistrate » January 13th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Or, maybe the Bio & Info page should have a set of sub-tabs (much like the "Stats" page does for "General", "Crime", "Magic", etc.), which is actually not a bad idea. That would make the Bio & Info page more organized, whilst making room for more new features, such as a spellbook. It's nice how one idea can lead to another.

This is indeed a good idea, eventually these subtabs could be working like the /spoiler tag, meaning they could be opened and closed.

That's probably the best way to get an idea from the community. The only problem I have is that our community is rather inactive (or, in my opinion, nonexistent). But, we managed to scrounge up some votes for the character Journals feature, so maybe we will be able to do the same for this, as well. And please note that it's not that I don't want to add this feature, I simply want to gauge the interest of Elder Stats users in a spellbook feature to determine where its development should lay on my priority list.

It's not that it is inactive as a community, it is NEW, but it's built around a cool idea and eventually with proper "advertisment" it could grow into something bigger. I suggest you, if you didn't already, to open up a post on Bethesda's Official Forum (plenty of veterans there) and eventually you may talk to the guys from the nexus network (which has more than 5kk users) and see if you can get some forms reciprocal advertisment (also you could post on their boards which is pretty well active).

As per myself as a user, granted I like the idea, I am trying to advertise it with people I know (word of mouth is your friend here).
Magistrate
Mudcrab

Postby Tom » January 13th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Magistrate wrote:It's not that it is inactive as a community, it is NEW

The site itself has actually been around for almost four years now, but Skyrim compatibility didn't come until about four and a half months ago, so in a way it is new. ;)

Magistrate wrote:I suggest you, if you didn't already, to open up a post on Bethesda's Official Forum (plenty of veterans there)

I would love to, but I'm reluctant to do so because I don't want to be deemed a spammer. If I recall correctly, Bethesda's Official Forum does not permit users to have signatures, so simply getting active in the community forums with a character's Stat Card in my signature to attract users' attention to The Elder Stats isn't even possible there. We haven't yet been able to successfully break into Bethesda's Official Forum community due to this fact, and we haven't even been able to touch upon the Nexus Forums community as of yet. I fear that creating a topic to generate interest would be immediately targeted as spam, even though the site is useful for all fans and would likely be welcomed by many. It's a quandary for sure.

Magistrate wrote:and eventually you may talk to the guys from the nexus network (which has more than 5kk users) and see if you can get some forms reciprocal advertisment

That would definitely be nice, but we've asked the UESP for something similar in the past and were denied (that was, however, some time before The Elder Stats was revamped back in August of 2012 with Skyrim compatibility added). I would think that a site as large as the Nexus community would not think much of such a small community here, even if the idea is a pretty cool and useful one.

I appreciate your suggestions, by the way. I'm not trying to shoot them down at all, I'm just trying to iron out the kinks so that we can build a more effective plan for breaking into the crowds on Bethesda's Official Forum and the Nexus Forums, and other active sites like it.

Magistrate wrote:As per myself as a user, granted I like the idea, I am trying to advertise it with people I know (word of mouth is your friend here).

Thank you for your help! Every effort counts.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Magistrate » January 13th, 2013, 10:48 pm

I would love to, but I'm reluctant to do so because I don't want to be deemed a spammer. If I recall correctly, Bethesda's Official Forum does not permit users to have signatures, so simply getting active in the community forums with a character's Stat Card in my signature to attract users' attention to The Elder Stats isn't even possible there. We haven't yet been able to successfully break into Bethesda's Official Forum community due to this fact, and we haven't even been able to touch upon the Nexus Forums community as of yet. I fear that creating a topic to generate interest would be immediately targeted as spam, even though the site is useful for all fans and would likely be welcomed by many. It's a quandary for sure.

As for Beth's official forum they do not allow pictures in signature, they do allow links though (and you can link pretty much anything in your signature unless it leads to adult content); as for opening a thread concerning your site, I don't think it would be a problem (eventually you can ask via PM to a moderator if it is all right); as for Nexus, same thing, just send a PM to a moderator and ask if it's all right (I don't foresee any issues though). As for talking to Nexus management, again, asking costs nothing, if they'd refuse at least you tried :D
Magistrate
Mudcrab

Postby ToxicCosmos » January 27th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents. I would personally love this feature. I love being able to share every aspect of my characters abilities and stats, and any feature that would allow more of this is just wonderful to me. :)
Vira Varo
Dunmer, Female
Character Thread

ToxicCosmos
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 5
Characters: 3

Postby Zephyr » August 21st, 2013, 9:00 am

Magistrate wrote:Plus it would be nice in the "favourite spell" field to be able to add custom, mod-induced spells.

I was thinking along the lines of this for spells. A text field like the one for Favorite Weapon would be great, allowing for both vanilla spells and those from mods.
Zephyr
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 2
Characters: 3

Postby Ihnele » December 25th, 2015, 1:50 am

I support this too, my character uses a custom spell which is featured in game as his "favorite" spell but I can't place it in my site Stats.
Ihnele
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 1

Return to Site Feedback & Discussion