OR  

What is so cool about ninjas?

Relax and discuss any general topics not related to The Elder Stats or gaming with other members in here.

Re: What is so cool about ninjas?

Postby Kestral » August 1st, 2009, 3:50 am

The Ninja wrote:Wow. No offence, but, Ignorant willingly? Perhaps. If my uncle took a look at that wiki page, and had a lot of spare time, he would revamp it completely. So, I don't trust wikipedia as far as I can throw it.

It's skeptical, and not ignorant. It's the equivalent as a skeptic examining a haunting case and saying he doesn't believe it. And like I've said, you can't show he did.

The Internet can be viable.

My sources are viable.
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229
Characters: 0

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » August 1st, 2009, 1:26 pm

You guys need to pay less attention to entire groups and focus more on individual soldiers

Considering that gallowglasses were trained to think for themselves rather than act as part of a military unit, they still win. And considering they had access to the best weapons of the medieval era (which does not include sub-machine guns) and saw the obvious flaws in using gunpowder, they also had a technological advantage.

No, but he studied ninjas and trained under a ninjitsu master in Japan for around a decade

No schools of ninjitsu have been proven authentic. It's not likely that very many are, and is entirely possible that none are. They can't prove a thing. Whilst it is a martial art, it probably doesn't have anything to do with ninjas.

I think that they are used for fort/castle assaulting, or swinging a long distance between/around houses

Against a white background or in a Japanese alley, do you really think that's possible? It could only ever be accomplished on a Hollywood film set, after a considerable amount of butchering traditional Japanese architecture and building styles.

Who said they opened sliding doors?

To fire through one is to make it obvious where the shot came from, and it would also make a loud noise if the weapon was powerful enough to actually hit something on the other side (which, if it was silent, could not have done more than sticking a pin in someone's leg as it would have lacked the power). And longer bows? Have you seen Japanese longbows? They're about seven feet tall.

And disappearing just means fleeing to cover/hiding or running away completely. The suit didn't do it, but it helped

Against a white background, especially when the rest of the place would have been ablaze with light considering your ninja just knocked down a door and shafted someone with a dart gun ;)
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby The Ninja » August 1st, 2009, 7:47 pm

Kestral wrote:The Internet can be viable.

Agreed. CAN!

Kestral wrote:My sources are viable.

Disagreed. My SOURCE is completely viable.

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:Considering that gallowglasses were trained to think for themselves rather than act as part of a military unit, they still win.

Ninjas did both. They trained together and alone so they were ready to fight both ways.

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:
No, but he studied ninjas and trained under a ninjitsu master in Japan for around a decade

It's not likely that very many are, and is entirely possible that none are. They can't prove a thing. Whilst it is a martial art, it probably doesn't have anything to do with ninjas.

It wasn't JUST a ninjitsu school. In fact, it wasn't a school at all! There were under ten pupils (my uncle being one of them) being trained and taught by a ninjitsu master. As in he came from a line of ninjas. He might have been a descendant to ninjas, or might have been taught by them. Either or, he taught the history, techniques, and thinking of a ninja. Therefore, my uncle is basically an expert on the subject.

I think that they are used for fort/castle assaulting, or swinging a long distance between/around houses

Against a white background or in a Japanese alley, do you really think that's possible? It could only ever be accomplished on a Hollywood film set, after a considerable amount of butchering traditional Japanese architecture and building styles.

Yeah, I'd say that it is possible. Especially swinging from building to building in a city. The castle would be a little tricky. But either take out the guards or climb up the wall when they aren't looking. Not impossible, but very tricky.

Who said they opened sliding doors?

To fire through one is to make it obvious where the shot came from, and it would also make a loud noise if the weapon was powerful enough to actually hit something on the other side (which, if it was silent, could not have done more than sticking a pin in someone's leg as it would have lacked the power). And longer bows? Have you seen Japanese longbows? They're about seven feet tall.

Ahem. I said shorter bows. As ninjas used them every once in a while. Not the yumi bow, but a collapsable, or short bow.

And disappearing just means fleeing to cover/hiding or running away completely. The suit didn't do it, but it helped

Against a white background, especially when the rest of the place would have been ablaze with light considering your ninja just knocked down a door and shafted someone with a dart gun ;)

? Um, I'm thinking of bushes, boulders, trees, cielings, and with the help of the shadow of night.
Last edited by The Ninja on August 1st, 2009, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Kestral » August 1st, 2009, 10:09 pm

The Ninja wrote:
Kestral wrote:The Internet can be viable.

Agreed. CAN!

Kestral wrote:My sources are viable.

Disagreed. My SOURCE is completely viable.

'Mie sorce is viable 2, d00d. It c0m3s from the 1nv1s1ble p1nk un1c0rn in my r00m!'

That argument is as good as the on above, that is to say, not good at all. At least I can cite my sources for actual people to see with their own eyes. Not through someone's words. You can't do anything to prove you're right.
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229

Postby The Ninja » August 1st, 2009, 10:34 pm

Whatever, Kestral. I agree to disagree. I'm dropping this argument, but I'll still talk to Ashk. Ashina Zelaku since we aren't fighting.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » August 2nd, 2009, 8:35 pm

It wasn't JUST a ninjitsu school. In fact, it wasn't a school at all! There were under ten pupils (my uncle being one of them) being trained and taught by a ninjitsu master. As in he came from a line of ninjas. He might have been a descendant to ninjas, or might have been taught by them. Either or, he taught the history, techniques, and thinking of a ninja. Therefore, my uncle is basically an expert on the subject.

So did his heritage mean that he qualified as a ninjitsu master, or was he himself trained? And if so, where did they get their information from? And for him to be able to trace his line from ninjas, there must be written evidence of a ninja's existence (or more than one oral story about it). If there is no written evidence or a single oral story, then how can you be sure that he could trace his line from ninjas?

Yeah, I'd say that it is possible. Especially swinging from building to building in a city. The castle would be a little tricky. But either take out the guards or climb up the wall when they aren't looking. Not impossible, but very tricky.

Climbing a wall quietly is difficult when you have a lot of equipment (none of which is that practical for climbing walls), and when there are likely to be braziers at the top. If you threw anything at the wall of a traditional Japanese house, there are several things that could happen: the noise could be heard as the walls were thin, the object would simply bounce back at whoever threw it because of the circular construction of the wood, or the wall would break.

Ahem. I said shorter bows. As ninjas used them every once in a while. Not the yumi bow, but a collapsable, or short bow.

There is no record of such weapons in Japanese history. Most of the eastern empires had compound bows, which were definitely not collapsible. Those that did not had longbows, which we've established could not have been the weapons used by ninjas.

Um, I'm thinking of bushes, boulders, trees, cielings, and with the help of the shadow of night.

Japanese gardens were lit with torches and braziers, and if they weren't the water features would have been invisible and would have betrayed a ninja's presence by the noise of their feet. Even if they hid behind something, they would have a shadow.
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby The King » August 26th, 2009, 1:27 pm

The Ninja wrote:Whatever, Kestral. I agree to disagree. I'm dropping this argument, but I'll still talk to Ashk. Ashina Zelaku since we aren't fighting.

Fancy way of saying that Kestral won the argument.
"Nothing hurts my world,
Just affects the ones around me
When sin's deep in my blood,
You'll be the one to fall."-Avenged Sevenfold
The King
Brawler

Forum Posts: 220

Postby The Ninja » August 27th, 2009, 5:42 pm

The King wrote:
The Ninja wrote:Whatever, Kestral. I agree to disagree. I'm dropping this argument, but I'll still talk to Ashk. Ashina Zelaku since we aren't fighting.

Fancy way of saying that Kestral won the argument.

No, simple way of saying that the argument is unwinnable to someone who is stubbornly clutching onto the internet instead of a ninjitsu-master.

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:So did his heritage mean that he qualified as a ninjitsu master, or was he himself trained? And if so, where did they get their information from? And for him to be able to trace his line from ninjas, there must be written evidence of a ninja's existence (or more than one oral story about it). If there is no written evidence or a single oral story, then how can you be sure that he could trace his line from ninjas?

He was trained by a legit and qualified Ninjitsu master. And he only passes down what he knew and learned from his master. So the information and technique has been passed down over time.

Climbing a wall quietly is difficult when you have a lot of equipment (none of which is that practical for climbing walls), and when there are likely to be braziers at the top. If you threw anything at the wall of a traditional Japanese house, there are several things that could happen: the noise could be heard as the walls were thin, the object would simply bounce back at whoever threw it because of the circular construction of the wood, or the wall would break.

I guess you aren't very trustworthy to Japanese construction? And if ninjas couldn't climb because of "too much equipment,"
then they aren't ninjas! Sure equipment is a lot, but it is all in a sleek and flexible package.

There is no record of such weapons in Japanese history. Most of the eastern empires had compound bows, which were definitely not collapsible. Those that did not had longbows, which we've established could not have been the weapons used by ninjas.

What is it with everyone and records? The only record I need is info from a Ninja Master.

Um, I'm thinking of bushes, boulders, trees, cielings, and with the help of the shadow of night.

Japanese gardens were lit with torches and braziers, and if they weren't the water features would have been invisible and would have betrayed a ninja's presence by the noise of their feet. Even if they hid behind something, they would have a shadow.

There is always a shadow and darkness away from a torch. And the ninja would find a way. We are cool like that.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Grayfox » October 20th, 2009, 1:19 am

Let me pull my source out hold on...

I'll get it later.

I did a 80 slide power point on Japan, 20 on the Ninja.

There is no recorded successful assassination by a Ninja. They weren't good at that. They were used just before an army invaded a city. They threw fire on everything. They also acted as scouts, and spies.

I'll get that source, hold on.
I come from the BGS forum. I'm a writer.
UNITED BRETONY: The Hills and the Highlands
-a part of the "TESUS" universe. Website coming soon.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1074408&st=0&start=0
Grayfox
Protector

Forum Posts: 111

Postby The Ninja » October 20th, 2009, 1:58 am

They were good at those tasks, yes. But they were ASSASSINS. How can you argue that with a ninjitsu master that has been passed down that information from someone else who had it passed down, etc. You can't. You weren't there, but the sources were.
The Ninja
Squire

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge